Monday, September 6, 2010

Rain. Run. Rinse. Repeat.

Blog number two, and the tables have certainly turned from last time. The sun has disappeared into the abiss, my son chucked his morning nap into the grey, blistering skies, and I've showered 3 times already. Mind you, my second shower wasn't your traditional type - it was the - went for a run and got caught in the rain - type shower, and as refreshing as it actually was, I wouldn't recommend it, but its highly probable that I will do it again, and again, and again, and likely a few more times after that.

It's not January 1st, and I'm not making resolutions, but I recently committed to get active and healthy starting September 1st. How is it going? Well, its now September 6th, and let's just say the scales are not leaning in my favor. In fact I've tipped them 2 lbs in 5 days. But I promise you, that will soon change.

I recently joined a competition against 29 other ladies to become "The Biggest La - Ooser". I put my 20 bucks in the pot, and I hope to take $600 out in 12 weeks from today. I've become way too comfortable in my skin - and especially that skin underneath my skin - you know, that cushy layer that keeps you warm over winter in the Arctic North? Yeah, that skin.

I've never been overly active or dedicated much time to sports and vigorous exercise. I enjoy walking and being outdoors, but I've always leaned toward focusing most of my energy and time towards creative outlets such as writing and music. Unfortunately playing guitar burns about as many calories as were in the 10 mini carrots I just ate, and blogging - well, it keeps my fingers trim enough to stop them from turning into sausages.

Diabetes runs in my family, and heart disease runs our nation. I'm shocked at how complacent I've become (and let's face it, most of us are...) towards health and wellness. I hope to post some of what I learn and suggestions to get on track with your health, and hopefully it will take some of the focus off yesterday's zucchini cake that I foolishly made knowing it would taunt me to succumb to its goodness, but I won't!

And so it begins, today is the day, and tomorrow will hopefully be even better than this one. I will run, jump, squat, plank, push, and burn as many calories as it takes to get this body into shape, and hopefully win some cashola to boot!


 - Sagacious Mama

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Good attitude! You're one of the lucky ones who already looks really good before they even start their challenge.

    Praying that it won't feel like discipline...just benefits!

    Hoping that everything works together towards lifelong wellness for you and your whole family.

    I hope you win it all. Tell me if you want me to sabotage one of the Murray girls for you.

    (Have you tried adding psyllium to your baking? It makes you feel much fuller, so you eat less - and it is a fibre)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the exercising! It can be hard to keep it up when you have a small child but it's definitely worth it! Makes you feel so much better about yourself...

    ReplyDelete